If you have decided to go fully natural in order to take care of yourself or the planet, or if you simply love making things yourself (either to save money or just for fun), you probably already have a number of great recipes and techniques at your fingertips. However, have you ever thought about hair styling products? Coming in handy for rebellious hair, they can also be very useful for keeping a special style in place. And with industrial products, it won’t have escaped your notice that they smell frighteningly chemical and tend to dry out your hair. So it’s time to create your own! Whether you’re more of a gel or a hairspray person, we have the recipe for you!
Citron hairspray for flexible and effective hold
What you need:
- 1 whole organic orange (for dark hair) or an organic lemon (for fair hair)
- 2 cups of distilled (or filtered) water
- 2-3 dessertspoons of strong vodka
- 6-8 drops of essential oil(s)
- Spray flask
1) Chop your fruit and put it into a pot with the water. Bring it to the boil and reduce it to half the quantity.
2) Strain it and add a little water if you have lost more than half during boiling. Leave it to cool.
3) In another container, mix the vodka and the essential oil(s) and add this to your citrus mix.
4) Pour the whole lot into your spray flask. Shake well before every use.
Another nice recipe for a texturising hairspray can be found here.
Strong hold gel
It is possible to use just aloe vera gel to keep your style in place, but if you need a little more hold, follow this recipe:
What you need:
- Aloe vera gel
- An airtight container
1) Mix the sugar and the water. Mix the equivalent of 4 sugar cubes with 2 teaspoons of water.
2) Once you have made your sugar mixture, add the aloe vera. You will need 20% sugared water for 80% aloe vera gel.
3) Put the whole lot into a container.
Another recipe for home made hair gel can be found here.