Cramps are sudden muscular contractions which can be surprisingly quite violent and painful. They can be very debilitating because they often come about during periods of intense activity. They are often as a result of fatigue. Here are several tips below which can help you to prevent them and make them dissapear more quickly.
To prevent the onset of cramps :
- Hydrate yourself well. A well hydrated muscle has less access to the minerals necessary in order for it to function correctly.
- Increase your intake of magnesium. You can find it in lentils, green and dried vegetables and chocolate.
- Increase your intake of potassium. You can find it in dried fruits, in particular apricot and in banana.
When doing sport :
- Take the time to warm up correctly
- Rehydrate regularly by taking small sips of liquid.
- Choose the right sports outfit and fabric which are adapted to your physiognomy.
In the case of cramps :
- Stop all effort immediately. Lie down or sit down.
- Gently stretch the muscle and breathe deeply.
- Massage your muscle with for example arnica oil.
- Apply a hot compress onto the muscle.
Try to generally avoid or limit certain factors such as the cold, fatigue and the consumption of stimulating substances such as coffee, alcohol, tea or tobacco.